Friday, December 9, 2011

Albert Pujols Puts Full Page Ad In The St. Louis Post-Dispatch Thanking The City And Fans. It's Nicer And Sweeter Than The One LeBron Didn't Do.

Click it if you want to read it for yourself






So I'm trying to add some spice into Mom's Leftovers by throwing in some sports poop. I know you ladies won't appreciate it as much as the men do, but hey, it's cool because I love you girls more.

So when I saw this picture tweeted of Albert Pujols' ad put out in a Saint Louis newspaper, I wasn't surprised. From what I hear, Pujols has always been a genuinely nice guy. Hell, even from watching him goof around during the All Star games and Home Run Derby with his kids close by. I know I don't have much to base it on, but for what it's worth, I think Pujols is a pretty nice guy. The thing that pissed me off was the fact that LeBron didn't do this. I know, I know, LeBron has been in Miami for about a year now, but still. It's kinda bullshit. 

Albert didn't really owe the Cardinals, or even the city of St. Louis anything. Yes, he spent 11 years of his career there, but still. In retrospect, if anything, the city owes him the world. Enter Lebron. Born in raised in the same exact state as the city that drafted, and coveted him. Once his contract ended, he shopped himself to other teams around the NBA who would want his services. Not mad at him for that, at all. Dude has insane talent, and deserves to go wherever he wanted to go. Totally fine. The way he did it though, was ridiculous. He held a one-hour special on ESPN just to announce where he was going to sign. Made it a giant heap of hooplah just to get attention. 

With all this shit happening this week with the NBA, it's easy to say that it's messed up, and I think LeBron is a metaphor for that league itself. The commissioner is a power-tripping joke. And small market teams aren't going to have a chance to compete in the next few years, much because of the trend that LeBron himself started in the first place. But as much as LeBron mirrors his sport, Pujols exemplifies baseball just as much. He was an absolute class act as he closed the door on his chapter in St. Louis. Although Pujols took a huge deal, getting 10 years, and $250 million from Anaheim, he did it the right way. 

It's nice to see professionals acting like professionals for a change. Just sucks that acts like Pujols' aren't as common as they should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment